Monday, October 24, 2016

Reading Notes: Nursery Rhymes (Part A)


English Nursery Rhymes


The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang
Read it here


Reading Notes A:
-Tales
-Proverbs
-Songs, Part 1 and 2
-Riddles
-Paradoxes
-Charms and Lullabies
-Games

Humpty Dumpty: a Riddle


Tales:
-seem to tell a story more than a lesson
-lots of repetition
-”head, head, head”
-”make, make, make”

Proverbs:
-confusing
-do not make a lot of sense to me
-also quite repetitive

Songs:
-very rhythmic
-lengthier than previous (proverbs and tales)
-Interesting: I knew “Polly put the kettle on” growing up but we always spoke it, never sang
-many of these are also popular in the United States

Riddles:
-I liked these but many did not make sense
-Humpty Dumpty: one of my favorites as a child

Paradoxes:
-I love reading these because they make your mind scramble
-used to babysit some children with a book of these that they always wanted to read and I could never get them right on the first try!
-kind of like tongue twisters

Charms and Lullabies:
-even more like tongue twisters
-”Peter picked”... one I used to say as a child
-some of these were used by my kindergarten teacher to teach kids how to properly speak/help with lisps

Games:
-never realized “Jack Be Nimble” was a game
-some of these are really fun! Very entertaining

No comments:

Post a Comment