Sunday, October 9, 2016

Learning Challenge: How to Focus With ADHD

As someone that struggled with undiagnosed ADHD for years of my life, I have learned lots of different ways to pay attention while studying. It all has to do with the environment you create for yourself.

So many thoughts,so little time


1-If you know you are an easily distracted person, don’t sit in your room or in a highly populated area (the basement of the Biz) because you know you’ll end up just watching people walk around and not actually on the work in front of you.

2- Orchestra and piano music often help create a tone for work, especially for those who have to do a lot of writing. These types of music allow you to block out sound without confusing your thoughts with the singer’s lyrics.


3- Pressure can make perfect; I’m not saying to procrastinate everything (especially tests!) but for assignments that are smaller, if you know you focus well under pressure, sitting down and convincing yourself you have to have it done by a certain time may be the way to go!

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post a lot and found it very relatable. I do not have ADHD, that I know of, but sometimes I do find it hard to concentrate and get distracted by the things that are going on around me. I do find that I work better sitting at my kitchen table than I do sitting in my room or on the couch. I also like listening to music while I study so I think I will try out the orchestra/ piano music and see if that helps!
    Oh and I just wanted to say that you do a fantastic job of choosing images to go with your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post because there are great tips in here for everyone. My boyfriend has ADHD and I have always found it fascinating the different ways he processes and deals with things in life and in school. It's always fun and interesting. You're right though, it is so easy to get distracted and taking yourself out of the environment and really putting yourself to work is very important. I tend to be a procrastinator and have found that I truly thrive under pressure in school.

    ReplyDelete