Monday, October 3, 2016

Growth Mindset: Growth in Your Other Classes


Growth in Your Other Classes


Forever Busy


This semester is probably my most challenging and work excessive one to date. Below are the challenges I face in each one.


Weight Lifting: This class begins at 8:30 in the morning (so early) and sometimes I feel like gets in the way of my study time. I do know that I need to work out, it is good for my mind and body.
Solution: I can study my materials for other classes (or do the reading for this one!) while riding the bike or speed walking on the treadmill. This will make it so I am getting in my cardio and feeling ready for the day academically.

PR Research: This class requires the most time. We have a quiz once a week, a group assignment and single spaced papers that are 10+ pages due all the time. It is stressful and I find myself having anxiety over it.
Solution: Take a deep breath. Every semester has the classes that you have to just do the best you can in. When it comes to freaking out over my GPA, I need to tell myself that this will be the one class I can allow myself to get a B/C in and move on. This does not mean you failed, it just means you needed to share your time with other subjects, and that is okay.

Mythology and Folklore: This class only stresses me out because of the stories and the portfolio. I love the readings and commenting, but sometimes the writing takes a long time and can be forced because it has to be about a specific area.
Solution: Use this class as my “me” time. Doing extra credit activities (like this one) relax me and allow me to reflect much like my journaling has always done. If I can use this type of activity as an alternative to journaling, I can calm myself and reflect on my day. I like the topics of Growth Mindset, so this can be a great time to think about school and relax some at the same time. Get out the stress research brings through this!

Life of the Mind: This class requires lots of reading (300+ pages per class) and is very intense in this way. There are quizzes over all of these readings as well that ask questions over little details.
Solution: Set aside a certain time to take these quizzes. Typically, I do them whenever I am submitting my work for Mythology onto Canvas. It makes it so I don’t feel like I am spending as much time on it. Since I had just submitted assignments, I feel like I have just checked some items off my week’s list, and therefore I can focus on the quiz more and less on everything else I need to do.

The American Presidency: This class is very interesting and is the last for my minor. It has a lot of writing assignments and can get stressful.
Solution: Do the readings on the treadmill and come up with paper outlines! Find key terms while reading so you don’t have to go back and find them again later on.

Internship: Apple Corporate: This is not only a class credit, but also a job. This can determine your future and you need to put time into it.

Sports in Public Relations: This is my favorite class this semester. I have a huge project coming up in it, but if I can embrace it and make it fun, this can be something I enjoy and make not feel like a forced activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment